Every organization uses virtual machines to run their server applications. Virtualization increases IT agility while providing significant cost savings. Greater workload flexibility, increased performance, better asset utilization, and automated operations are among the benefits of virtualization, but the essence is that virtualization makes IT simpler to manage and less costly to own and operate.
Server virtualization is old news, but desktop virtualization has become just as mature. Some companies saw the trend early on and deployed virtualized desktops through offerings such as VDI, which can achieve similar results but requires large upfront cost (for server software) and maintenance costs as an on-premises solution. Unlike VDI, in which your in-house IT team manages the hardware, software, licensing, and deployment, Desktop as a Service (DaaS) shifts responsibilities to a cloud services provider along with owning and managing the full stack (power, security, storage, backups, licensing, and networking).
With a DaaS solution, users work on virtual desktop infrastructure hosted in the cloud. Because the cloud-based desktop configuration is stored on a remote server, it is independent of the physical devices which access it.
These are among the benefits DaaS offers your organization:
- Agility. These is no need for long lead times in anticipation of setting up new machines or applications for new hires and when required.
- Security. DaaS is an attractive security mechanism because data and applications reside in the cloud, not on end-user devices that are common targets because of weaker security tools and practices of the end users themselves. Cloud service providers consistently provide security in-depth at a higher level than most organizations can deliver locally, including timely updates for security releases.
- Productivity. All end-users can log in to their virtual desktop from any internet-enabled device, at any time and from anywhere. DaaS ensures a consistent user experience, regardless of the device.
- Manageable Costs. DaaS shifts a large portion of IT expenditure from CapEx to OpEx, which can be throttled based on business need.
- Continuity of Business. DaaS provides secure 24x7 access to your resources via the cloud, from any environment. In the event of a disruption or other emergency, your employees can continue to access their virtual desktops from any device and location.
- Simplified management. This one is often left unsaid: making things simpler for end- users and for their IT support leaves additional capacity for activities that add value and not merely keeping the lights on.
At Advantage we have relationships with multiple providers that offer a wide variety of DaaS services. We will work with your team and develop a firm understanding of the following items to ensure that you pick the provider and solution that best fits your needs
- The type of computing needs for DaaS to address
- The need for an industry-specific solution or by a business-ready one.
- Flexible options for desktops or just one-size-fits-all
- Activities best support by the DaaS provider or by your team
- Compliance and security needs and how they are met
Contact us today to learn more about how your business can benefit from Desktop as a Service.